Monday, May 5, 2014

What are you lookin' at?

I am thankful today that I was born and lived many years of my life before smart phones and social media were created.  I have the pleasure of remembering what it was like to talk to folks face-to-face, or spend hours writing letters to pen pals overseas, having to wait a whole 7 days to see the next episode of  Happy Days, or trying to read my notes from class that I had scribbled in a spiral notepad, and typing my college term papers on a typewriter.  I remember the games we played were with a board and spinner or with a deck of cards in the middle of a circle of humans.  I remember fondly the spending of childhood summers outside running around in the yard, or making mud pies in the woods...and we stayed out there all day, every day totally entertained by our vivid imaginations.
I am thrilled with how far we have come with technology and the miracles of the internet...all this infinite information at our fingertips.
But I am happy that I will always know a time without...and that I will always choose to hold someone's hand in mine, over a hand-held device.

My inspiration?  This video that made its rounds on... guess what?  Facebook! It is poignant and heartbreaking and many things. Click below to experience it for yourself.




No comments:

Post a Comment