Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Miss America

Beauty pageants have never been something I have ever supported. Heck, when I was in college I attended numerous protests outside the buildings where pageants were held. Having said that, I like to think that these pageants have come a long way... focusing more on academics and leadership than the swimsuit.  I read today that the newest Miss America proudly admits that she is pro-choice and completed a 3 mos internship as an educator with Planned Parenthood.  In fact, she is not the first contestant to be openly vocal about her views on women's reproductive rights, Miss America 1974 made it known that she was in support of Roe vs Wade.  In 1989, AP reported that 32 of the 51 Miss America contestants identified as pro- choice.  It just goes to show ya, huh.  I loved learning this...made my day!


No comments:

Post a Comment