Saturday, December 20, 2014

Season of Love

I have always enjoyed the month of December for lots of reasons...holly jolly holidays, let auld aquaintance  be forgot, people in general look better when they are bundled up in scarves hats and gloves...but the biggest reason is because 18 years ago December was the month I fell in love. Many people don't know that In the mid-90's I was living on Cap Hill in Seattle, had just begun a job at The Seattle Times and even though I knew lots of people, I didn't know many straight boys.
This lead to a placement of a personal ad in The Stranger, a popular Seattle community publication that highlighted current events around town and wasn't afraid to lean to the left politically.
After meeting or chatting with many guys who responded to my ad, I scheduled an afternoon coffee date on Broadway with a gentleman who seemed smart, funny and kind over the phone.
Brent was there when I arrived and we sat down to coffee, and we wound up talking for several hours, then walking around Broadway window shopping for a few more.  It was Dec 8, 1996 and the streets and stores were complety decked in  holiday cheer.  I still remember this day so well because for the first time in a very long time I was feeling happy.  I didn't know it then but while we spent the rest of the Winter taking long walks in the snow,romantic visits to local record stores, and drinking cozy cups of coffee at the nearest hole-in-the-wall coffee joint I was falling in love. Two and a half  fantastic years later we were married.   And that is why I love December  so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment